Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Oh wow! Loving the book: Turn A Deaf Ear! Ch, 4-6

Well, chapters 4-6 did not disappoint and have me anxious to finish the book! Now we meet John, the Deaf man and feel the emotional issues introducing someone who communicates differently can bring about. I also learned that somewhere out there is a book about ASL that actually answers the questions my ASL 1-6 instructors have not answered... why does this sign mean that concept? In chapter 4 as the romance begins we learn that the sign for America resembles a log cabin... now that makes sense! I need these types of visual aids and my college classes have barely alluded to these concepts. Oh we were told "boy" was like grabbing a baseball cap, but that is about it. I am on the hunt now for the ASL dictionary that gives the visual definitions like America / log cabin because I am sure my comprehension and memory of signs will greatly improve with such visual aids. This makes sense, ASL is a visual language... why don't they teach hearing students to be more visual then? Back to the book, sorry, my passion for ASL took over just then. In chapters 5 & 6 we learn more about the challenges of growing up Deaf in a Hearing family and integrating the two. This book is full of all the controversial subjects that Deaf Culture has dealt with since the dawn of time. It at least touches on them to get the reader thinking about viewpoints and prejudices, but this is afterall a love story... so on we read...

6 comments:

  1. Hey, very interesting point. My brother attended an ITP in Maryland and he learned a lot of these visual definitions. One thing I learned from him is that many signs historically had visual meanings. With time language changes forms as we make shortcuts for things. (i.e. current sign for brother was once "BOY+SAME")

    But yes I too would be interested if you find more resarch that explains visual history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iconic vs. non-iconic signs. In other words, signs whose shape indicates their meaning vs. those who don't. I agree that knowing the WHY makes it easier for us hearing people to make the connection.
    A google search for ASL iconic signs comes up with some interesting articles and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for these great comments. I have checked Amazon.com for an ASL dictionary with historical meanings, iconic signs, etc. and also one organized specifically by handshapes. When I could not find one that fit my needs, I began making my own ASL dictionary on an excel spreadsheet. It was during ASL 2 when I became so frustrated that my learning style was not being addressed by my instructor or the textbooks that the idea of creating my own study aid might just help many others learn ASL faster and with better understanding too. I have been busy with graduations and a wedding; but I hope to get back to completing my special ASL "student" dictionary and submitting it for publication by next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that if they incorporated more visual connections between the word and the sign more people would be open to learning asl. It's frustrating for me because there's no initial indicator, like french, you simply have to memorize it whereas in spanish there are cheats that allow your brain to remember certain words or phrases. I would be more open to learning ASL if i had something to connect it to on a visual basis other than solely memorizing jestures. Cant wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still searching for the best ASL Dictionary which for me will include the history of iconic meanings for as many signs as possible and the most comprehensive listing possible; which I will in turn organize by similar handshape and orientation. The reviews on Amazon.com are helpful but a trip to the library is what I am planning... now that graduations and the wedding are over:D Will report more as I discover it... let me know what you find too!

    ReplyDelete