Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2 Lessons in Good Communication

-Sometimes an interpreter will intentionally not sign a phrase for several reasons. In church, our terp left out "kangaroo court" as a description of a biblical event. It would have taken too long to explain what was actually unnecessary in understanding the passage. Most of the time however; they will take the time to sign our pastor's jokes, whether relating to a message or not. I figure this is because it helps to develop an awareness of the pastor's personality and also increases the sense of belonging to the group as a whole since our church has a Deaf section; but is not wholly a Deaf church. I am referring to Faith Assembly of Lacey, Lacey, WA *Good communication sometimes means cutting out the crap and sometimes it means leaving it in:D
-All people can be sensitive about many different things, ie. their weight, their skin color, their accent... but Deaf people are also sensitive about their language, ASL. My teacher thought I was challenging him when I simply did not understand why horizontal time movements were not grouped with the other two "regularity" in "time" movements. I was just very confused and after re-reading the question over and over, I got it. Thankfully, an apologetic email from me cleared things up. Miscommunication is perhaps more common when a Deaf person is communicating with a Hearing person. We can all get our feelings hurt when this happens. His feelings were hurt because he felt his knowledge or teaching ability was being challenged while my feelings were hurt to think I had made a man whom I respect - quite upset. *Good communicatin is important in every language!

1 comment:

  1. Good communication is also important in every area of life! We can all work to improve communication at home and in our work place and in our everyday dealings with people. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete