Friday, June 8, 2012

The Challenge: to Learn ASL Later in Life...

Is it possible at my age? Ugh... even after getting a 4.0 on my Pledge of Allegiance; I am once again doubting my passion for ASL will ever be more than a passing fancy. The RT's are my stumbling blocks... who am I kidding? They are more like my Devil's Towers or Mt. Rushmore's... which are 2 of the dozens of translations I totally missed tonight. But seriously... it seems like you also have to be a wiz at Geography and know where all the Deaf institutions and popular vacations spots are, know how a car engine runs and what a corticosteriod is, in order to translate. I feel so totally lost and yet will probably pass ASL 6 with a decent grade overall. Is there any encouragement out there? I am going to look into summer jobs/volunteer opportunities to work with the Deaf community in any capacity. Do you know of any in the great Northwest? Hope your day was awesome!

2 comments:

  1. The best thing to do would be to expose yourself with Deaf people. Make friends with them, converse with them. That will help you feel more comfortable with your signing and your receptive skills. I see that you're taking classes at Seattle Central - good for you. Here's a link to this calendar (http://psadeaf.org/?page_id=461) that does a great job of keeping updated on the majority of Deaf events in the Seattle area. Maybe you can check out the events and meet Deaf/Deaf-Blind/HoH people that way.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the calendar link, I hope to check out some events over the summer. It is quite a drive from Rainier; but I am getting used to it:D Now if a local college would offer the ITP that SCCC just dropped, that would be an answer to prayer! Thanks again.

      Delete